Wednesday, June 15, 2011

"You're going to Brazil???"

click 'read more' for rest of entry

 

"I wear a suit and tie 3 or 4 times a week even though I don’t really have to. I could wear jeans and golf shirts every day if I wanted, but I have a theory that good things happen to those who dress well. Walk into a restaurant in a suit and ask to use the restroom. Most of the time they will say sure. Do the same thing in cargo shorts, sneakers and a bandana, and they will tell you the restrooms are for customers only. Believe it or not, this applies to life in general, not just bathrooms."
—A Photo Editor - John Korpics Interview


So I guess a small part of me has always enjoyed being concerned about what I wear. I don’t know if I dress particularly well, but I like to think that I do. I was nominated for best dressed in high school, if that even counts for anything. I think around four people were nominated. I didn’t even win, I was just nominated. I don’t even know how. I feel like I dressed like a clown. My freshman year of high school all I wore was ridiculously baggy shirts (ecko, rocawear, etc.) and ridiculously baggy jeans. There was literally nothing under XL in my closet, and I’m a 5’7 asian. I started wearing more fitted clothes beginning of junior year, and I remember the first actual “fitted” outfit I wore. It was a button up, (didn’t even really fit me btw, I just thought it was fitted because it was a dress shirt) a pair of jeans that actually fit me, and a pair of tan and brown Steve Madden shoes. Now that I think about it, I probably looked like a complete fool. But since then, I have learned a lot about how clothes should fit and what looks appropriate. I’ll be sharing some of what I wear with you guys. If you guys have any tips or advice you’d like to give me, please do. The best piece of style advice I ever received, believe it or not, was from one of my high school teachers. It’s a pretty well known rule, he said “Don’t match, complement”. I’m pretty sure he told me that because I used to match these outrageous bape sweaters with a pair of  colorful Bape shoes, and I’m pretty sure I looked terrible. Especially to the teachers, I don’t even want to know what they were thinking. Of course being a stupid kid back then I took it as disrespect like “shut up old man!” but now, I follow that rule now more than ever.

An area I’ve been making a conscious effort in nowadays is dressing to look my age. I’m 23 but I actually look like I’m 18. So I try to dress a little older to make up for it. The last time I went out one of my home girls told me I looked like I was 27(I was in a suit), and a few weeks before that a random guy told one of my home girls he thought me and my three friends were 30(we were all wearing suits).If a suit can make me look older, there are obviously ways to dress myself casually to make myself look my age.


I just cleaned out my closet not too long ago, and I took out a lot of stuff out ahahah. Nowadays when I throw on a graphic tee and I look in the mirror, it just doesn’t work anymore. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying 23 year olds can't pull of a younger look or anything like that. If I looked really old I would wear more clothes that would help me look younger. Get it? I feel like its one of those things that’s really easy to understand, but hard to be good at. It’s fun and keeps me on my toes. It's also a lot pricier, but I can’t even get into that right now. Anyway, that’s it for this post, expect more of these in the future. I’ll leave you guys with a story. So I went to the Rio Buffet(Las Vegas) with two of my friends today and one of them posted “going to the Rio to eat” as his  Facebook status. Like 2 minutes later he gets a comment from a girlfriend of his and it says. “YOU’RE GOING TO BRAZIL????”


No comments:

Post a Comment